Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 52 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
Inventory management is a significant component of any business since inventories are normally accountable for the majority of the costs incurred in business operations. Several researches conducted to ascertain how companies meet customer demand by tracking and maintaining the inventory required using and inventory management system. Thus, the desire to find out inventory management and control on manufacturing ignited this study. This work examined the inventory and control management with a particular reference to Champion Breweries Plc, Uyo. To achieve this purpose, four research questions were formulated to guide the study. A structured questionnaire was used as the main instrument for data collection from 50 personnel of the company. The data collected from the respondents were analysed using simple percentage and correlational analysis for testing hypothesis. The study concluded with some recommendations that the company should hold inventory in the form of raw material, work-in-progress (process) and finished goods.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Inventory constitutes the most significant part of current assets a larger majority of Nigerian manufacturing industries. Because of the relative largeness of inventories maintained by most firms, a considerable sum of an organization’s fund is being committed to them. It thus becomes absolutely imperative to manage inventories efficiently so as to avoid the costs of changing production rates, overtime, sub-contracting, unnecessary costs of sales and lack order penalties during periods of peaks demand.
According to Redhakrishman et al, (2009), manufacturing enterprises (companies) are compelled to supply their best in order to survive because remarkable changes in the market scenario frequently occur because of global competition, shorter product life cycles, dynamic changes of demand pattern and product varieties and environmental standards. Pandey, 2008 says it is possible for a company to reduce its levels of inventories to a considerable degree without any adverse effect on production and sales, by using simple inventory planning and control techniques. The reduction in excessive inventories carries a favourable impact on a company’s profitability.
Nowadays, understanding of the significance of inventory control throughout the various links in a supply chain is further increased by the awareness in supply chain management. In recent years, management decisions are supported by lots of newly constructed supply chain and inventory control models. A sufficient supply without too much oversupply of items are assured by monitory supply, storage and availability is known as inventory control. Total inventory costs can be minimized by optional order quantity in an inventory system in which an order is considered slowly, as inventory continues to be used up. Improving company management at the same time as improving custom services, maximizing return of investment, improving production performance and minimizing investment on inventories is the major objective in implementing an inventory system.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The problem of this study is how to maintain a large size of inventories of raw material and work in progress (process) for efficient and smooth production and of finished goods for interrupted sales operators.
This study argues in its statement of the problem that inability to maintain a minimum investment in inventories to maximize profitability and also maintaining an inadequate level of inventories is also dangerous in the manufacturing company.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The objective of the study is to find out the following:
(i) To find out the inventory management procedures in Champion Breweries Plc, Uyo.
(ii) To examine the inventory and control management in Champion Breweries Plc, Uyo.
(iii) To identify the problems associated with evaluating inventory management and control in manufacturing company.
(iv) To proffer solution to the problems associated with evaluating inventory management in Champion Breweries Plc, Uyo.
(v) To make useful recommendation based on research findings.
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The ultimate goal of any industry or organization is to maximize profit. The goal can be achieve in the manufacturing company like Champion Breweries Plc, Uyo through inventory management and control in manufacturing firm.
This study is necessary because it would enable the employer and employee of Champion Breweries Plc, Uyo to improve ethnical behavior and code of conduct in the management of the company.
It would be of immense benefit to investors who want to invest in the company and the shareholders of the company to earn more profit. It will also serve as a reference source to researchers (students) who might want to further studies in the similar topic.
1.5 SCOPE/LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
The study concerns about evaluating inventory management and control in manufacturing firm with specific focus on Champion Breweries Plc, Uyo. Significantly, the study seeks to investigate the inventory management procedures in the company and control man in the manufacturing firm. However, the findings and recommendations will be generalized to cover other similar company’s.
Besides, the study is limited to Champion Breweries Plc, Uyo and its limitation in scope caused by the time constraint. The period within which the study is conducted is short for a thorough research study, hence, gathering adequate information becomes very difficult.
Also, finance is one of the limitations to the scope of this study. The researcher is facing financial constraint to meet all the needed educational requirements including this research work. This caused the researcher to restrict this research to one company for possible completion of the study.
Finally, lack of materials on the topic. This area is totally new in the Nigeria companies, and schools, hence the researcher resolved to seek friendly approach in order to obtain the needed materials or information from the establishment or organization under study through the administration of questionnaire and oral interview.
1.6 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
(1) Does inventory management increase profitability in Champion Breweries Plc, Uyo?
(2) Does inventories help Champion Breweries Plc to make effective and efficient production?
(3) What is the benefit of inventory management to the shareholders of Champion Breweries Plc?
(4) What are the problems associated with inventory management and control in Champion Breweries?
1.7 RESEARCH HYPOTHESES
The following research hypotheses were formulation to guide this study.
H0: Inventory management does not increase profitability in Champion Breweries Plc.
H1: Inventory management increase profitability in Champion Breweries Plc.
H0: There is no significant relationship between inventory management and the benefits to shareholders of Champion Breweries Plc, Uyo.
H1: There is a significant relationship between inventory management and the benefits to shareholders of Champion Breweries Plc, Uyo.
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS
(a) INVENTORY MANAGEMENT: This refers to all the activities involved in developing and managing the inventory levels of raw materials, semi-finished materials (work-in-progress) and finished goods so that adequate supplies are available and the costs of over or under stocks are low (Chiktriki and Ravindranuaath, 2010).
(b) RAW MATERIALS: These are those basic inputs that are converted into finished product through the manufacturing process (Pandey, 2008).
(c) WORK–IN-PROGRESS: These are inventories that are semi-manufactured products (Pandey, 2008).
(d) FINISHED GOODS: These are inventories completely manufactured products which are ready for sale (Pandey, 2008).
(e) PROFITABILITY: This means the ratio of profit to capital or the profit after taxes but before dividends divided by total assets and expressed as a percentage (Fijo, 2004).
(f) PRODUCTIVITY: This is the relationship between a given output and the means used to produce it. It is the goods and services produced per unit of labour, capital or both (Banjoko, 2000).
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ACCOUNTING FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. WORKING CAPITAL MANAGEMENT AS A TOOL FOR COST MINIMIZATION AND PROFIT MAXIMIZATION (A Case Study Of Anambra Motor Manufacturing Company Enugu)» ABSTRACT The objective of this research work contains working capital management as a tool for minimization and profit maximization with particular re...Continue Reading »
87 pages | 357 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
2. THE IMPACT OF MIRCO FINANCE ON THE DEVELOPMENT'S OF SMALL AND MEDIUM SCALE ENTERPRISES (A CASE STUDY IC-GLOBAL M.F.B» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY Small and Medium Scale Enterprises are sub sectors of the industrial sector which play crucial ro...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 181 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
» ABSTRACT The aim of this research work is to appraise “The impact of credit management on the profitability of a manufacturing firm focused on Unile...Continue Reading »
76 pages | 0 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
» ABSTRACT The Study investigated the role of financial institutions in a depressed economy. The objective is to find out whether the role of financial ...Continue Reading »
50 pages | 353 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
5. THE EFFECT OF BUDGETING AND BUDGETARY CONTROL ON THE PERFORMANCE OF MANUFACTURING COMPANY IN NIGERIA» CHAPTER ONE 1.0 INTRODUCTION The success of every organization depends largely on effective planning and control. Planning and control are pre conditi...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 261 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
6. BUDGETARY PLANNING AND CONTROL AS A TOOL FOR EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT OF RESOURCES (A CASE OF PAN-AFRICAN UNIVERSITY, LAGOS).» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study There is a great need for effective planning and management of resources and the coordinating of ...Continue Reading »
60 pages | 290 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
7. AVAILABILITY OF LABORATORY FACILITIES FOR EFFECTIVE TEACHING AND LEARNING OF ACCOUNTING IN JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL IN ENUGU NORTH» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY 1.1 Background of the Study Secondary schools offering accounting face enormous challenges. Teachers ...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 137 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
8. FACTORS INFLUENCING THE ATTITUDE OF STUDENTS TOWARDS THE STUDY OF MATHEMATICS IN NIGERIA, USING KATSINA – ALA LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA, BENUE STATE AS ...» ABSTRACT Students have many different perceptions of mathematics. Most business and athletics leaders will talk about how the individual’s attit...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 180 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
9. THE IMPACT OF FINANCIAL ACCOUNTING ON THE CORPORATE PERFORMANCE OF BUSINESS ORGANIZATION [A CASE STUDY OF NIGERIAN BREWERIES PLC]» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 9 Background of the Study The impact of financial reporting on the corporate performance of a business organization is becomi...Continue Reading »
102 pages | 206 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
10. TIME SERIES ANALYSIS OF SALES OF PETROLEUM PRODUCTS IN NIGERIA (1988-2011) (A CASE STUDY OF SALES OF FUEL AT BALEWA FUEL SATION, OSHOGBO, SATE OF O...» ABSTRACT This project is based on time series analysis of yearly sales of petroleum at Balewa fuel station Nigeria limited, Oshogbo, Osun State from 1...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 198 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING