Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 55 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
Since the study habits has a significant effect on academic achievements and according to the importance of study habits on academic performance and educational progress that finally effect on academic and career future, so it is essential to consider and planning to improve methods and study habits of adult learners. According to researchers, the people's study habits are teachable and learnable and several steps can be taken in this field. The study examined the impacts of study habit on the academic performance of adult learners in Nigeria. Findings from the study reveals that majority of the respondents are of the opinion that good study habit will impact on the academic performance of adult learners in Nigeria. Another finding from the study reveals that, adult learners will become more focused in class with good study habit and environment.
1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
In the field of education & psychology, learning has been discovered all over the world to be a highly complex problem. Several researchers have tried to explain it differently and the description of each is partially true. Over the years, researches on factors that influence academic performance of adult learners have attracted the interest of not only researchers but concern of teachers, counselors, psychologists, and school administrators as well. Study method is the knowledge and application of effective study skills or techniques by adult learners. The term study habit refers to the way in which adult learners’ study either systematically, efficiently or inefficiently. In line with what has been said above, we can deduce that good study habit will definitely yield positive academic performances and achievement and also inefficient or poor study habit leads to academic failure. Adult learners’ attitude and study habit towards any subject has been described as a function of passion coupled with their belief on that particular which has a long way to go on their academic performances.
In Nigeria, many factors have been highlighted to influence the ability of adult learners to cultivate effective and efficient study habit. Such factors include; state of health, motivation, anxiety and state of mind, conducive and suitable environment for studying, availability of textbooks and well equipped libraries. In a research carried out by (Nuthana&Yenagi,2009) the causes of poor academic performance among Nigeria adult learners were thoroughly examined. In which some of these factors identified include; low adult learner’s intellectual ability, achievement motivation, lack of goals, low self-esteem, low socio-economic status of the family, poverty and poor study habit as a major factor.
A survey was carried out in some selected schools in Nigeria to identify some major causes of low academic performances in adult learners. Some of the problems identified include inadequate teachers, problem of inadequate facilities in the school, problems caused by poor parental background, unfavorable government policies and low educational sector funding (Ajilaand Olutola 2007). Likewise, Ichado (1998)also dispute environment from which the adult learner comes from play a major role in influencing study habits which invariably affect academic performance. The concept of study habit is broad as it combines nearly all other sub-topics under it such as study attitude, study method, and study skill. In a research conducted by Allport (1960), it was argued that attitude toward study by drafting a good study pattern can greatly contribute to adult learners’ academic performance.Successful learners all over the world are said to have adopted positive attitude towardsstudy and are time conscious over whatthey have to do.
According to Hussain(2000) study habit refers to predispositions whichadult learners have developed towards private readingsthrough a period of time. According to him, studyhabitis a gateway to successfulachievement in studies.
A research was carried out byMorahan (1999), he foundout that male and female have different ways of studying (study habit). In this study, he discovered that the male adult learner took up courses that have more of logic and scienceswhile female adult learner were attracted to simplercourses and such it is in line with their passion which require different study habit and might have a positive effect on academic performance of adult learners. Positive academic performance and achievement depends upon the adult learner’s ability to schedulehis time, the plan of his study, the habit of concentration, note –taking, mental review,over learning, the judicious application of whole and part method massed and distributed learning and so on. In other words, positive academic performance is a function ofproper study habits and skills. Since study habits arean important factor in learning, it becomes necessary to investigate into its nature.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The problemsassociated with study habits might have a major effect on a adult learner’s academic performances, it is believed that everyone has a different study habit and it is important to findout the best personal way to study. Studying with friends has a long way to go in adult learner’s study habits, it has a positive influence in which they discuss what have been read together but also has a negative effect in which they might not read but discuss throughout the stipulated time for reading which boils down to time wastage.
A very good and conducive environment encourages adult learners study habit and might have positive impact of their academic achievements but adult learners reading in an unfavorable environment might find it difficult to study which might affect their academic achievements. Adult learners with financial constraints might also find it difficult to perform excellently well in their academics
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The following are the objectives of this study:
1. To examine the correlation between study habit and academic performance
2. To examine the effect of study environment on study habit
3. To determine factors affecting adult learners’ study habit and academic performance
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
1. What is the correlation between study habit and academic performance?
2. What is the effect of study environment on study habit?
3. What are the factors affecting adult learners’ study habit and academic performance?
HO: There is no significant relationship between study habit and academic performance.
HA: There is significant relationship between study habits and academic performance.
HO: There is no significant relationship between study environment and adult learners’ academic performance.
HA: There is significant relationship between study environment and adult learners’ academic performance.
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The following are the significance of this study:
1. The outcome of this study will help adult learners in understanding the effect on study habit and study environment on their academic performance and helps in serving as a guide for a positive result.
2. This research will also serve as a resource base to other scholars and researchers interested in carrying out further research in this field subsequently, if applied will go to an extent to provide new explanation to the topic.
1.7 SCOPE/LIMITATIONS OF STUDY
This study on the impact of study habit on academic performance of adult learners will cover various approaches to study and its effect on the academic performance of adult learners.
Financial constraint- Insufficient fund tends to impede the efficiency of the researcher in sourcing for the relevant materials, literature or information and in the process of data collection (internet, questionnaire and interview).
Time constraint- The researcher will simultaneously engage in this study with other academic work. This consequently will cut down on the time devoted for the research work.
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS
Study: application of the mind to the acquisition of knowledge, as by reading, investigation or reflection
Habit: an acquired behavior pattern regularly followed until it has become almost involuntary.
Performance: the accomplishment of a given task measured against preset known standards of accuracy, completeness, cost and speed
Adult learners: a person formally engaged in learning, especially one enrolled in a school or college
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ACCOUNTING FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» TABLE OF CONTENTS Title page i Declaration ii Certification iii Approval iv Dedication v Acknowledgments vi Table of contents vii CHAPTER ONE: Introdu...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACTThe accountants the business and the economy are inseparable. They are mostly needed in resolving various conflicting investment decision, ini...Continue Reading »
3. DIVIDEND ANNOUNCEMENT SECURITY PERFORMANCE AND CAPITAL MARKET EFFICIENCY, THE NIGERIA PERSPECTIVE» CHAPTER ONEINTRODUCTION1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE PROBLEMThe availability of information is crucial to the successful pursuance of virtually every human en...Continue Reading »
4. LOAN SYNDICATION AS AN ALTERNATIVE BUSINESS FINANCING STRATEGY IN NIGERIA (A Case Study Of Union Bank Of Nigeria Plc New Market Road Onitsha)» PROPOSAL LOAN SYNDICATION AS AN ALTERNATIVE BUSINESS FINANCING STRATEGY IN NIGERIA. Lack of fund has been one of the major problems militating against...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY Internal control system acts as an independent appraisal activity within an organization for the ...Continue Reading »
6. THE NATURE OF CREDIT MANAGEMENT BEING EMPLOYED IN UNITED BANK FOR AFRICA PLC IDAH BRANCH DURING THE UNDER REVIEW, 1994-2000» CHAPTER ONE 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY The main aim of setting of any business organization is to maximize profit. This can be achieved through an ef...Continue Reading »
» TABLE OF CONTENTS Title page i Declaration ii Certification iii Approval Page iv Dedication v Acknowledgement vi Table of contents vii Abstract x CHAP...Continue Reading »
8. THE IMPACT OF BUDGETING PLANNING AND CONTROL ON PRODUCTIVITY IN NORTHERN CABLE PROCESSING MANUFACTURING COMPANY (NOCACO), KADUNA» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study For any organization to operate meaningfully there has to be clear direction of where it is leadi...Continue Reading »
9. THE IMPACT OF NIGERIAN STOCK EXCHANGE IN THE GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT OF NIGERIAN ECONOMY (A CASE STUDY OF STOCK EXCHANGE MARKET ONITSHA BRANCH)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study The capital market exists primarily to facilitate funds mobilization and allocation in an economy...Continue Reading »
10. THE IMPACT OF INTERNAL CONTROL SYSTEM ON REVENUE GENERATION: (A CASE STUDY OF POWER HOLDING COMPANY OF NIGERIA (P.H.C.N) OKPARA AVENUE ENUGU)» ABSTRACT The objective of this study was to evaluate the internal control system in operation at power holding company of Nigeria Plc in Enugu State w...Continue Reading »