Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 42 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 Background of the Study
A taxpayer paying his tax regularly should see it as an essential sacrifice one can make towards the upliftment to his county’s economy. Revenue accrued from government to discharge it enormous responsibilities, which include uses taxes: execution of capital projects, National defense, administration of law and order, settlement of recurrent expenditure etc. Eligible taxpayers should therefore pay their tax to enable government acquire the human and material resources.
For the purpose of the study, the researcher would be concern with the Nigerian Economic Development Revenue in this modern Nigeria. Different tax law under the administration of some organized and well constituted bodies regulate these taxes.
These tax laws are reviewed from time to time in Nigeria. They include, Income Tax Management Act (ITMA) 1961, Companies Income Tax Act (CITA), which was established by section 37 the Tax Management Act of 1962, was charges with the duty of initiating and administering tax laws.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
There is no tax system practiced in the world that can succeed without the cooperation of the taxpayers. In most developed countries like USA, England etc, the idea of paying taxes to government is very welcome. Unfortunately, the reverse is the case in developing countries. In Nigeria (irrespective of the state) for instance, the issue of taxation is regarded by many as a means by which the government arbitrarily and exploitatively raises revenue. The question that could be asked includes;
i. What makes taxation a difficult issue?
ii. Why are people reluctant to pay their tax liabilities?
iii. How can the contribution of taxes towards the economic development of Nigeria be assessed?
In this research work, the researcher will also focus on the problem that may have affected the successful operation of tax system in Nigeria and the recommendations for active and efficient operation of the tax system in Nigeria.
1.3 Objectives of the Study
The objectives of this study is trying to:
a. Examine the objectives of individual taxes and their relevance in the macro-economic of Nigeria.
b. Assessing the contribution of the various taxes towards the development of Nigeria economy.
c. Exposing the problems that may have affected the successful operation of the Nigeria tax system.
d. Making recommendations for effective and efficient operation of the Nigeria tax system.
1.4 Scope of the Study
This research work focuses particularly on taxes being levied and collected by state government from 2006-2010 in Delta State. Although the study may slightly look at taxes at the federal level, this generates most of the country’s income. However, at the state level, it will also examine the assessment and collection machinery of the state government taxes.
1.5 Significance of the Study
There are several literatures on taxation as a source of government revenue. They cover taxation in all ramifications and some even appraises the problems of tax administration in Nigeria. In spite of the appreciable efforts, much has not been done to quantify the contribution of taxes towards the Nigeria economic development. This state of affairs coupled with the recent call by Nigerian to abolish taxes in the country has served as an inducement for undertaking this research study. So in order to bridge the gap in our knowledge on the impact of taxation as a tool for national economic development in Nigeria, the researcher therefore made an empirical study of the various existing taxes in Nigeria as means of government revenue. This it is believed will:
i. show the contribution of taxes towards the Nigeria economic development
ii. suggest better ways for effective and efficient administration of tax system in Nigeria.
iii. Stimulate further research into other function areas.
1.6 Research Questions
In the course of my study, the following questions shall be answered;
a. What make taxation a difficult issue?
b. Why are people reluctant to pay their tax liabilities?
c. How can the contribution of taxes towards the economic development be assessed?
d. Do the taxpayer declare the income when completing the tax form?
e. What are the major problems encountered by the tax agents/tax collectors?
1.7 Limitation of the Study
In the process of carrying out this research, there were lots of constraints encountered which include difficulty in obtaining information from officials in charge of useful information as they were unwilling to disclose it since such information use has been regarded as confidential.
Financial problem and time factor also contributed in hindering the progress of this work, as there were other academic work that involves finance and time from the researcher during this period of study.
1.8 Definition of Terms
The following terms are defined as they reflect the use in this study.
i. Tax:- A compulsory levy in the individual and corporate bodies by government as means of generating revenue for development purpose
ii. Taxation:- A process of imposing tax on taxpayers by government.
iii. Impact and Role of Taxation:- the word impact and role means effect and contribution of tax.
iv. Economic Development:- Is defined in term of elimination or reduction of poverty. Inequality and unemployment in the country. Also it embodied the improvement of economic growth rate of income per capital, of the citizenry of the country.
v. Taxpayer:- This is any person or corporation chargeable to pay tax to the government.
vi. Tax Evasion:- Tax evasion is a deliberate act by the taxpayer to illegally exempted him or herself from tax liabilities through cheating, frauds of all kind, or failure to pay in time.
vii. Tax Avoidance:- This is an attempt of trying to comply with the law but smartly arranging affairs in a way that are pays little of net tax.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ACCOUNTING FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
» INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background to the study It is widely acknowledged that the accounting profession is an important facet of our society (Wyatt, 2004). ...Continue Reading »
2. AN EVALUATION OF IMPACT OF COMPUTERIZED ACCOUNTING SYSTEM IN UNITED BANK FOR AFRICA (UBA) NIGERIA PLC KADUNA» ABSTRACT This research was carried out on the topic, problem and prospect of the computerized Accounting system in Nigeria Banks. Using the United Ban...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY There have been significant progresses in the past years but more intensely during the last years aimed at the...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional organisation of 15 West Afri...Continue Reading »
5. ANALYSIS OF BUSINESS OBJECTIVE AND THEIR ACCOMPLISHMENT THROUGH EFFECTIVE COST CONTROL (A Case Study Of Lake Concrete Industries Limited, Enugu State)» ABSTRACT This study is centered on the analysis of business objective and their accomplishment through effective cost control in lake concerted indust...Continue Reading »
6. BUDGETING AS AN INSTRUMENT OF ADMINISTRATIVE CONTROL OF PUBLIC AGENCIES IN NIGERIA (A STUDY OF MINISTRY OF FINANCE, UYO)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY Budgeting and budgetary control will continue to play a significant role in public organizations ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT This study examines the essence of effective inventories control and management to manufacturing companies with particular emphasis on Ama Gr...Continue Reading »
8. ASSESSMENT OF THE IMPACT OF INTERNAL CONTROLS ON FRAUD PREVENTION AND EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT OF BUSINESS ORGANIZATIONS (A STUDY OF NIGERIAN BOTTLING COM...» ABSTRACT The research examine “Assessment of the Impact of Internal Controls on Fraud Prevention and Effective Management”, A study of Nig...Continue Reading »
9. CAUSES AND EFFECTS OF COMMUNICATION BREAKDOWN IN AN ORGANIZATION (A case study of champions breweries Uyo Akwa Ibom State)» ABSTRACT The study intends to determine the importance of communication in enhancing an effective management undertaking which is for the generality o...Continue Reading »
10. ROLE OF ACCOUNTING INFORMATION ON SMALL AND MEDIUM SCALE BUSINESS IN NIGERIA (CASE STUDY OF: SMALL AND MEDIUM SCALE ENTERPRISES OPERATOR IN LAGOS METR...» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1. BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY Accounting information is a part and parcel of today’s life which is necessary to understa...Continue Reading »