Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 69 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1 - 5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Questionnaire, Data Analysis, Abstract.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Auditing can be said to be as old as man where people has been required to account for their transactions. In the ancient ages, great land owners would not manage their own land, but would appoint stewards to manage their own land for them. The account of these land owners were regularly checked by having them called out by those who gave them to those in authority (land owners) for hearing otherwise called stewardship accounting.
Auditing can therefore be defined as the process of an independent cross-examination of vouchers, internal control system and financial statements of an organization by a person or a group of persons called auditors so that the auditors can form and express opinion whether the vouchers, internal control system and financial statement, give a true and fair view of the organization or not.
Auditing is carried out in both the public and private sectors. In the case of public sector, there are two foremost types of audit that are carried out namely: Regulatory audit and financial audit and the third type is value for money (VFM) audit which is yet to be fully integrated in most part of the world including Nigeria.
According to Bechberger (2007), it can therefore be observed in the past decades that in order to fight global corruption and strengthening transparency and accountability in public sector organization across the world, public sector organizations are now under pressure from the public to integrate value for money principles in their management practices.
Globally the role of auditing is being appreciated for its operations and activities. Ihe and Umeaka(2006:370) defined auditing “as a process carried out by suitably qualified auditors during which the accounting records and the financial statements of an organization are subjected to examination by an independent auditor with the main objective of expressing an opinion in accordance with the relevant terms of appointment purpose” they also noted that the objectives of auditing were grouped mainly into primary objective which has to do with showing whether the financial statements of organizations show or reflect a true or fair view of the financial dealing and activities of the organization under review during stipulated periods while the secondary objective of auditors is mainly concerned with the detection of fraud and errors and ensuring minimal cases of illicit financial crimes.
The kernel of this research work however is based on audit perception gap and internal audit efficiency – which is a very important aspect of auditing, how the internal audit unit of the government can be made effective in order to assist in the efficient administration of local Government Areas (LGA). Internal Audit as defined by Chukwu L. C. (2011: 28) is “an independent appraisal of activity within the organization for the service of accounting, financial and other business practice as a protective and constructive aim of management”. He further noted that, internal audit is a type of control which functions by measuring and evaluating the effectiveness of other types of control. Anosike. C. K (2009:29) noted that the primary objective of internal audit, is to promote utmost efficiency and security in conducting business, in our case, the business or operations of the Local government areas.
STATEMENT OF THE GENERAL PROBLEM
The lack of effective auditing in our organizations has led to the poor performance of these firms thus leading to mass retrenchment of workers to survive which by large cripples our economy this has unfortunately resulted to the poor perception of employees of both private and public organizations about internal auditing. These perception stems from the fact that the primary purpose of internal auditing has been defeated as it is either done to settle scores or to conspire against perceived enemies in an organization.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The major aim of the study is to examine audit perception and internal audit efficiency in local governments in Nigeria. Other specific objectives of the study are;
- To examine the level of internal auditing in Uyo local government area.
- To determine the impact of internal auditing on organizational effectiveness of local government areas.
- To sample the perceptions of employees on internal auditing in uyo local government area.
- To examine the relationship between efficient internal auditing and employee perception.
- To recommend ways of improving efficient internal auditing in Uyo local government council.
- To highlight the importance of auditing on organizational efficiency.
- What is the level of internal auditing in Uyo local government area?
- What is the impact of internal auditing on organizational effectiveness of local government areas?
- What are the perceptions of employees on internal auditing in uyo local government area?
- What is the relationship between efficient internal auditing and employee perception?
- What is the importance of auditing on organizational efficiency?
H0: There is no significant relationship between efficient audit efficiency and employee perception in Uyo local government council.
H1: There is a significant relationship between efficient audit efficiency and employee perception in Uyo local government council.
SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The study would be of immense importance to local government administrators/authorities as it would unveil the audit perception and the internal audit efficiency. The study would also benefit students, scholars and researchers who are interested in developing further study on the subject matter.
SCOPE AND LIMITATAION OF THE STUDY
The study is restricted to audit perception gap and internal audit efficiency in Uyo local government Area of Akwa Ibom state.
LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
Financial constraint- Insufficient fund tends to impede the efficiency of the researcher in sourcing for the relevant materials, literature or information and in the process of data collection (internet, questionnaire and interview).
Time constraint- The researcher will simultaneously engage in this study with other academic work. This consequently will cut down on the time devoted for the research work.
DEFINITION OF TERMS
AUDIT: An audit is a systematic and independent examination of books, accounts, statutory records, documents and vouchers of an organization to ascertain how far the financial statements as well as non-financial disclosures present a true and fair view of the concern.
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ACCOUNTING FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. CHECKING DISTRESS IN THE NIGERIAN BANKING SECTOR THE ROLE OF ACCOUNTANTS AND AUDITORS (A Case Study Of First Bank Of Nigeria Plc, Awka)» Table Of Contents Title Page Approval Page Dedication Acknowledgement Proposal Table Of Contents Chapter One 1.0 Background To The Study 1.1 Introduct...Continue Reading »
2. AN EVALUATION OF THE ROLE OF INTERNAL AUDITORS IN A CONSTRUCTION COMPANY [A CASE STUDY OF NALADO CONSTRUCTION COMPANY LIMITED, KADUNA]» CHAPTER ONE 1.1 INTRODUCTION Internal Audit Units are established in organizations in order to assist members of the Organization in the effective dis...Continue Reading »
3. APPRAISAL OF INVENTORY MANAGEMENT AND CONTROL IN THE MANUFACTURING INDUSTRIES (A Case Study Of Kp Beverage Nigeria Limited, Ogidi)» ABSTRACT The need for efficient management and control of inventory in manufacturing industry cannot be growing realization of the importance of stock...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACT The research is an appraisal of financial information as a tool for management decision making. It provides a conceptual and analytical frame...Continue Reading »
» CHAPTER ONE 1.1 INTRODUCTION Lack of accountability and transparency by public servants has been identified as a cankerworm eating into the fabric of ...Continue Reading »
» Abstract Data mining has a great deal of attention in the information industry in recent year due to the wide availability of high amount of data and ...Continue Reading »
» ABSTRACTThe accountants the business and the economy are inseparable. They are mostly needed in resolving various conflicting investment decision, ini...Continue Reading »
8. THE IMPACT OF BUDGETING AND BUDGETARY CONTROL ON THE PERFORMANCE OF A MANUFACTURING COMPANY IN NIGERIA» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.0 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY The changing complexity of business activities and the ever changing conditions of business envir...Continue Reading »
9. THE USE OF “UTAZI” LEAF EXTRACT (GONGRONEMA LATIFOLIUM) AS A MEANS OF EXTENDING THE SHELF LIFE OF A LOCALLY BREWED SORGHUM BEER.» ABSTRACT Sorghum beer is an indigenous African alcoholic beverage that has been long traditionally brewed in the Savannah region of Nigeria; over the ...Continue Reading »
10. EVALUATION OF DEPRECIATION METHOD USED BY MANUFACTURING FIRMS AND ITS EFFECTS ON PROFITABILITY (A CASE STUDY OF BETA GLASS PLC, UGHELLI)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Most business have asset which are capital in nature e.g. building motor vehicle, furniture / fit...Continue Reading »