Get the complete project »
- The Complete Research Material is averagely 62 pages long and it is in Ms Word Format, it has 1-5 Chapters.
- Major Attributes are Abstract, All Chapters, Figures, Appendix, References.
- Study Level: BTech, BSc, BEng, BA, HND, ND or NCE.
- Full Access Fee: ₦4,000
1.1 Background of the study
Record keeping in business has been an old practice right from time. It helps businessmen and owners to plan on how activities will be carried out and to determine how activities have been performed and comparisons made among different periods in accounting. The need of record keeping cannot be over-emphasized, in different organizations’ accounting systems and procedure in record keeping vary.
Though system and approaches may differ, they still aim at the same thing-producing accounting information necessary for control and decision making.
Each organization is unique and so plans its operations and procedures that suits it’s purpose. However, standard procedures apply to small and big organizations. In most cases, cash and cheque record must be receipted written in both words and figures and banked, with proper account of its given be clerks entrusted with it. Equally cash/check disbursements must be duly authorized and carried out according to the procedure aid down in the organization, proper voucher together with supporting documents should be attached to vouchers with appropriate signatories.
In an organization where there is no proper documentation of some financial transaction and a measure of control on the activities of its staff can not maintain a sound accounting system.
Parklane General Hospital as one of the institution was established in 1930 as a Nursing home for colonial masters. Nigerians and other blacks were not allowed or treated there until 1952 when the first civil servants resident in GRA were allowed and treated in the Nursing home.
In April 1967, during the Nigeria civil war, the Nursing home was converted into a general hospital and the first expansion work started in May 1967. By 1970, the hospital had 200 beds and between 1978 and 1982, the surgical ward, eye clinic, pediatric ward, plant houses, mortuary and four new blocks of consulting rooms in the OPD were constructed and commissioned. In 1985, a new phase of development started with contracts awarded for a maternity ward. Both surgical ward and ante-natal clinic have been completed and commissioned while the marketing ward was still under construction.
In August 1999, a Nursing School was opened in the hospital on a temporal basis, using the proposed gynecological block. Also block of 5 bungalows were completed for house officers awaiting the accreditation of the hospital for training of the house officers.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
From the observations and reports of some patients and staff they have been pointing at the same thing. There are no documentation of some financial transactions, inability to have perfect control on the activities of the staff, cases of misappropriation of fund, and other irregularities which contribute to unsound accounting system in the institution. Therefore the problems are:
1. Non documentation of some financial transaction.
2. No proper control measure to ensure a sound accounting system.
3. The extent personal interest, overlapping of job and the exercise of authority affect accounting system in Parklane General Hospital.
4. To what extent does the management rely on the work of the accountant, internal auditor and revenue clerks.
1.3 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
The increasing rate of non-documentation of some transactions has brought conflicts of personal interest with the hospital interest and misappropriation, I believe that the information collected from this study will highlight the benefits which these institutions have been missing without a sound accounting and control system. The major objective of this study are:
1. To determine how proper documentations of some financial transactions can be made and maintained.
2. To advise the institution on a proper control measurement to ensure sound accounting system.
3. To ascertain the extent of personal interest, overlapping of job and exercise of authority affecting accounting system.
4. To fine out the extent the management has been replying on the works of the accountant, internal auditor and revenue clerks.
1.4 RESEARCH HYPOTHESES
H0: Some financial transactions are not properly documented.
H1: Some financial transactions are properly documented.
H0: There cannot be a sound accounting with out proper control system.
H1: There can be a sound accounting without proper control system.
H0: The work of internal auditor and revenue clerks are not relied on as far as fund generated and disbursement is concerned.
H1: The work of internal auditor and revenue clerks are relied on as far as fund generated and disbursement is concerned.
1.5 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
The study is set out to find answers to the following questions:
1.To what extent has documentation of some financial transactions been made and maintained?
2.What are the effect of proper control measure on accounting system.
3.To what extent does personal interest, overlapping of job and exercise of authority affects accounting system?
4.To what extent does the management rely on the work of the accountant, internal auditor and revenue clerk?
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
Since Parklance General Hospital is a health institution and government establishment known for internal generation of fund in a great measure, it is necessary to research into its accounting system and control system.
This research will give more insight on the losses sustained by the government and the hospital for non documentation of some transactions.
It will reveal the relationship between control measure and sound accounting system. And the importance of an accountant, internal auditor and revenue clerks in maintain good accounting system in an organization. It will also be of immense help to practicing accountants and future researchers.
1.7 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The study covers the areas relating to Parklane General Hospital’s accounting section in relation the maintaining sound accounting system in the area as relating to drug sales receipts, disbursement of hospital bills, card consulting fee and payment for laboratory tests.
1.8 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
In carrying out the research, the researcher encountered some limitations which include time constraint inadequate of fund lack of knowledge of some respondents in the area of accounting terms, they could not give the desired answers.
1.9 DEFINITION OF TERMS
1. Colonial – belonging to a country that controls another country.
2. Pediatrics – the branch of medicine dealing with the care and disease of children.
3. OPD – Out patient department
4. Antenatal –Before birth, during or relating to pregnancy. A medical examination during pregnancy.
5. Maternity – the state of being a mother, the character or relation of a mother.
6. Gynecology – the branch of medicine dealing with health care for women, especially the diagnosis and treatment of disorders affecting the female reproductive organs.
7. Misappropriation – the intentional, illegal use of the property or funds of another person for one’s own use or other unauthorized purpose, particularly by a public official, a trustee of a trust, an executor or administrator of a dead person’s estate or by any person with a responsibility to care for and protect another’s assets.
8. Conflict – It arises whenever individuals have different values, opinion, needs, interest and are unable to find a middle way.
9. Insight – understanding of the true nature of something.
10. Immense – Ofboundless or immeasurable size or extent
You either get what you want or your money back. T&C Apply
Share a Comment
You can find more project topics easily, just search
SIMILAR ACCOUNTING FINAL YEAR PROJECT RESEARCH TOPICS
1. ASSESSMENT OF CAPITAL GAIN TAX ADMINISTRATION IN NIGERIA: PROBLEM AND PROSPECT. CASE STUDY OF FEDERAL INLAND REVENUE SERVICE» Abstract This study is on assessment of capital gain tax administration in Nigeria: problem and prospect. The total population for the study is 200 st...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 534 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
2. RADIO LISTENING HABITS OF STUDENTS IN HIGHER INSTITUTION A CASE STUDY OF BOWEN UNIVERSITY STUDENTS» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study Radio is an essential mass medium that virtually every member of the society benefits from. Kuewu...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 323 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
» ABSTRACT This study examines the essence of effective inventories control and management to manufacturing companies with particular emphasis on Ama Gr...Continue Reading »
122 pages | 161 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
» ABSTRACT This study investigated the Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) disclosure practices of Nigerian quoted companies and their determinants. A...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 158 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
5. AN EVALUATION OF THE IMPACT OF CAPITAL BUDGETING ON ORGANISATIONAL PPERFORMANCE A CASE STUDY OF ONDO STATE MINISTRY OF WORKS» ABSTRACT The research profer an evaluation of the impact of capital Budgeting on organizational performance It analyses the nature of capital budgetin...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 162 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
» CHAPTER ONE 1.1 Background Information/Statement The payment system consist of institutions, set of instruments and procedures through which financial...Continue Reading »
69 pages | 95 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
» ABSTRACT Earning is believed to be the most significant item in the financial report because it serves as an indicator of the firm‟s financial perfo...Continue Reading »
106 pages | 17 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
8. THE IMPACT OF EMPLOYEE TRAINING ON JOB PERFORMANCE IN AN ORGANIZATION (A CASE STUDY OF ANCHOR INSURANCE PLC, LAGOS)» CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background of the Study The term “employee training” or training has been variously defined by different scho...Continue Reading »
90 pages | 418 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
9. THE IMPACT OF INTERNAL CONTROL SYSTEM ON REVENUE GENERATION (A CASE STUDY OF POWER HOLDING COMPANY OF NIGERIA (P.H.C.N) OKPARA AVENUE ENUGU)» ABSTRACT The objective of this study was to evaluate the internal control system in operation at power holding company of Nigeria Plc in Enugu State w...Continue Reading »
52 pages | 353 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING
» Abstract This study examines the influence of Firm Attributes on Financial Information Quality of listed Deposit Money Bank in Nigeria. Firm Attribute...Continue Reading »
65 pages | 314 hits | Source: ACCOUNTING